Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Model 19 Shop Working Prints Available

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member jmarkwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi All,

    Art J. imported my PDF of the Altec Model 19 cabinet plan into Photo-Shop and created four cleaned-up sections of it that are just right to print and use for shop prints while building your new Model 19s! Good job Art.

    I've uploaded the pages to http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/id14.html
    where they can be downloaded and printed. They are in jpg format and run between 250kb and 425kb apiece. I have also included a text and table version of the Material & Finish data that appeared on the original plans.

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    This just keeps getting better.Very nice job Art.
    Thanks

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Adhoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2005
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here I was thinking about building myself some new Valencia 846B cabinettes. Now really good plans on Model 19 start to pop up. I must say, this does not make my decision easier.

    forums

    Or does it? I never had the opportunity to hear Model 19 but it seems many of you guys place it as the #1 speaker for HiFi and home theatre.

    I came back to Sweden from the US in 1977 and brought with me 2 x 416B and 2 x 811B with driver 806-8A (?) I am at work now, so I'm not 100% sure if the code # for the driver is correct. The crossover code #, I do not remember right now, but is was the factory standard one for 800 Hz for Valenca in 1976-1977.

    I believe the elements are the correct ones for Model 19, while the crossover is not. As Todd W seems to have a Super CO coming up within soon, maybe I should postpone the cabinette building. But there is some kind of equalizer/electronics on the front baffle. Will this one also be available and in that case when? Todd?

    What are your suggestions? Wait a while or go ahead with building Valencia 846B?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member jmarkwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Adhoc,

    I don't think that cabinets should be your major concern. A critically tuned bass reflex box shouldn't sound significantly different from another that has slightly different external dimensions but the same internal volume and tuning. I believe a major divergence in sound of the Model 19 (and 604-8H/K duplex) and earlier Altec models occurred largely due to the mid-freq EQ introduced in the stock crossover. EQ eliminated the fatiguing "edge" that the small format compression drivers demonstrated on musical peaks and at higher SPL outputs by depressing the upper mids relative to the high frequencies. The earlier crossovers, with only shelving attenuation, did nothing to tame the upper mids without killing the highs too. Whichever cabinet you choose for your components, you need to explore some sort of crossover Mid EQ to finish off the project.

    Good Luck,

    Jeff

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Great Web Page Jeff. Thanks for having it.

    As a bonus for visiting this thread,
    here is a 'cover sheet' to keep the saw dust off your shop plans.
    Can anyone identify the ghostly figure from Altec past?

    http://img2.uploadimages.net/724937model19cover.jpg

    you might have to hit refresh a few times

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Adhoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2005
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jeff,
    Thanks for your quick response. What you say, is what I presumed without really knowing first hand. ?That the electronics box / EQ on the Model 19 played a much more significant role for its sound than the cabinets.

    This makes the building a bit easier. On the other hand I am a total nobody when it comes to crossovers, electronics, theory of tuning ports/ducts, so I would very much appreciate your suggestions later on.

    I will post something in a new thread. I?ve got to scrape up as many details as possible before though. GM seems to be a real wizard when it comes to speaker building, very helpful too. But, ?, he needs and wants details. (I think it?s a shame some throw out questions, guys spend (= waste) their time answering them and then the whole thing turns to nothing in the end. I do admire your patience GM!)

    Well, this is getting off topic, so thanks again Jeff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.